Followers

Friday, June 8, 2012

Dehydration

This past Saturday I was struck with a massive headache, nausea, body aches, and a fuzzy head. I was convinced I had come down with the flu that had been going through the office. I reached for my Immune Support Vitamins, Amazing Grass Packets, Emergency and settled in for some extra rest determined to beat this thing in one day!


I woke Sunday to realize I didn't feel any better, in fact the headache and nausea were actually worse. How did Miss Health Conscious get sick? I was bumbed. I am the worst person in the world to get sick! After listening to my complaints Anthony asked, "Babe, have you drank enough water?" Then in dawned on me...the past week I had been so busy running from one job to the next and had remembered to have my snacks, get my workout in, and some extra green tea but had failed to refill my water bottle. My body was not sick but massively dehydrated! No wonder I felt like death!


I focused the next few hours on glass of water every 20-30 minutes and even stuck a Zico in there for some extra help to my poor dehydrated muscles. An hour later life became clear again, the pounding headache faded, and the urge to vomit calmed. Amazing! I spent the rest of the day with one large water bottle in tow.


As we enter the summer heat it is so important to remember extra hydration. Not only is the weather outside warmer but our bodies are usually internally warmer as we push those workouts to look nice in that bathing suit.


Symptoms of Dehydration:
  • Headaches
  • Dizziness
  • Heart Palpation
  • Nausea
  • Lack of Energy
  • Weakness
  • Dry Mouth
How much water do we need?


Most of us have heard the standard 8-12 glasses per day, but it is really more individualized than that. Your water intake depends on your current weight, how much and how hard you exercise, how much time you spend in warm temperatures, the types of food you eat, and the amount of caffeine you have per day. I'm sure someone has created some fancy formula for this but truly if you pay attention to your body it will tell you. Those hunger pangs at noon may actual be for extra water rather than that extra bag of chips.


Other reasons to drink up?....Proper Hydration Yields:
  • clear and focused mind
  • better sleep
  • better muscle recovery
  • increased energy
  • reduction in joint pain
  • physically fresh- eyes clearer, skin moist and healthy hair
  • happy body = happy person :)
Drink up! And that water bottle make sure it's large enough to keep you chuggin...don't leave home without it!

1 comment:

  1. I am so guilty of not drinking enough! Im working on it though :)

    ReplyDelete